Monday 14 February 2011

hello there windy city.

although many of the spots on the web 2.0 world will have a fancy post title referencing the (in)famous saint after which 14 february is named... i refuse to... still making an indirect reference in spite of my personal feelings towards today... can only hope it helps the audience frame the post in the space-time continuum... that is all

After a killer three days in Chicago, I currently find myself in Boston, MA. Got here yesterday afternoon after what I can only describe as a "rough" few days getting more info than I could handle at Booth, going on 3 hours of sleep per night and litres of coffee, enjoying my visit and the totally underrated Chicago nightlife. Thanks again Alejandro Velasco, his buddies, the Booth Spanish community and all the people I met during these three days for making my stay to top-notch.

I came out of those three days with a very very positive impression of the school. I won't bore the audience with the "nitty gritty" but can only say that I was, in general, totally impressed by the school, its environment and the life surrounding every aspect of booth. Still trying to make up my mind here folks but the impression I got out of this visit only made things harder. the school is c. 30 minutes south of downtown chicago and although most of the surroundings, and in reality the whole campus, were snowed under (found out when I got there that as recently as last week, chicago endured the toughest blizzard in 44 years... scary stuff ein?!) could get a sense of what makes the place so special. this was reinforced by everyone continuously telling me how beautiful campus is when the 6 feet of snow disappear to make way for 20+ degree temperatures (celcius here guys... for farenheit need to multiply by 9 divide by 5 and add 32... rule of thumb this humble man learnt back in the day. comes in handy only in canada and in the US but it has stuck with me since c. 1996) and sun-filled days where everyone seems to host barbecues and pool parties, particularly in the summer. but are people really around in the summer?? thought internships were more important to the average boothie than working on their tans and sipping coors light (or miller or bud) by the pool... anyhow.... will believe it for now! was also told chicago has plenty of things to offer in the summer, particularly related to the music scene. millenium park, think of the "bean" and right in the middle of downtown, houses the world famous lollapalooza festival in august (http://www.lollapalooza.com/). check out the lineup for this summer and think whether it is worthy of a thumbs up... i most definitely think so! booth +1. that being said, also attended numerous events organised within the context of the booth admit weekend. overall, could really tell a lot of effort went into organising the weekend. really impressive. only problem that days were so activity-packed and nights were so alcohol-packed that I had little (to no) time to go around the city. subzero temperatures certainly didn't help much... that's my only consolation :o

next stop... Boston. so far so good. first and foremost, big thank you to my friend Rahul Parikh for letting me stay with him for a couple of days. although i got into the city yesterday, was so wrecked after the 3 days in Chicago that I ended up crashing at 10pm, so in reality can only treat today as my first "real" day. early morning start... visiting hbs, attending classes and speaking with current students. on a break at the moment so for the full download stay tuned... more to come in the next few days.

pv

No comments: